Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort

In March, we went to Fort Lauderdale, FL for a week long training course (with no kids). While in training, we stayed at the Embassy Suites, just a mile or so off of the beach. It was nice, had sparkly lights in the dining area, a pool under the beautiful palm trees and night sky. I thought it was gorgeous.

That is, until we checked in at the hotel we booked for a two day break before heading back to the cold of Chicago. Once we decided we would be going to the training in Ft. Lauderdale, it was a no brainer that we would stay a few extra days to enjoy the scenery and most important the ocean.

While deciding where we wanted to stay on the beach. Wouldn't you? I mean we just got through a blizzard (which was near record breaking) and it is not very often we get to see the ocean. We decided to book at the Hilton - Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. I booked us into a ocean view room and could not wait to get there.

Upon checking in, we were able to upgrade our room for a few $'s more and we ended up staying in the King 1 bedroom ocean front suite. We did get a bit of a view of the ocean, but we were just above the outdoor pool and had more of a view of all the families sitting at the pool. Which is ok, if you want chlorinated water. For me, I preferred the ocean. All we had to do was go down to the lobby, go outside and cross the street and that was it. No way this momma was sitting poolside when the waves of an ocean are calling my name.
 View from room, during a fierce storm.

Our room was absolutely beautiful and well worth the few extra $'s we paid for. We had 2 full bathrooms (and there was only two of us), a full kitchen, living room and a lovely balcony that wrapped around our room. Did I say it was gorgeous, because, it was! I hated to leave. The bed was super comfy, the bedding was luxurious. I was in heaven (for a bit).

The location was wonderful, we walked down the street there was an overly packed outdoor mall with many chain restaurants to satisfy any picky eater. If you walked a bit further, there were some great restaurants with outside eating area's (and again a view of the ocean). We had dinner and listened to live musicians the first night. It was loud (we were sitting by the speakers) but the music was awesome and heck, no need to worry about conversation because you cannot hear each other. Just sit back and enjoy!

View from dinner

During our stay, there was a fierce storm that we got caught in. I mean really caught. We ran probably about a mile from the water taxi, back to the room and were completely soaked. The wind was so strong, that the sand was mixed in with the rain and we had red eyes the rest of the day. Because of the storm, we ended up eating at the hotel restaurant, Ilios,  that evening. The restaurant was packed due to the storm. They had only one waitress on duty and she was spectacular. She did not let the issues get to her. The management staff kicked in and helped out any way they could. Of course, there were many that complained that the service was a bit slow, but I do not think they took the time to notice that she was running all the tables. 

The next day, we happened to see the manager of Ilios in the hotel lobby and he stopped and asked us about our meal the night before. I took the time to congratulate him on what a terrific staff he had and how well the restaurant ran on the one waitress. Storms were due in that evening as well and they had already called in extra staff to help them through.

So the question is, would I stay at the Hilton - Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort again? Absolutely!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds great - it's always good to get unbiased recommendations from fellow travellers. I'm going to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise after Rootstech so will keep this recommendation in mind. Last time I picked a new Crowne Plaza hotel - it was nice - but it was out of the way and distant from the beach and restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geniaus, Glad I could be of some help. Enjoy your cruise and keep in mind that if you need assistance booking anything in the future, my web address is above. I would be more than happy to help. Happy Cruising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get in touch with me. I'm looking for a nice hotel and considering Hilton Ft. Lauderdale beach resort for my stay in Feb for 3 days. Can you help? email me orthoc@yahoo.com. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if it's not sunny all day along, the Hilton in Fort Lauderdale is still beautiful because of its swaying coconut trees and quiet atmosphere. I don't know if I'm the only one who appreciates that, but I would say it's suitable for couples who want to have a silent getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I absolutely agree. I loved the time we spent there and honestly did not want to go home. The rain may have gave us a day with not much to do, but we loved the hotel, the view, and the area.

    ReplyDelete